Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

It Didn't Rain - Mid Ohio And Being Broody

It didn't rain. I got plenty of sleep. I had a good weekend. Oh, and it didn't rain. What a relief. With the AMA Superbike Series already in a "what is going to happen next year" mode, the thought of one more acrimonious race (or lack thereof) weekend with riders at loggerheads with the series owners it was with positive thoughts that most of us involved hoped we'd have a dry weekend. Well, without harping on about it for too long, we did. With reasonably warm temperatures (Friday was rather hot but the weather cooled for Saturday and Sunday), I was reminded of the summers we have in England, slightly humid, with fluffy white clods across a lovely blue sky, and pleasant cool breezes to keep everything in check. It was wonderful. It's odd how significant moments in your life can be attached to places and events. For me, the visit to Mid Ohio Sports Car Course during the AMA Superbike weekend will always have the memory of my dear dog Jack dying whilst I was here. The kindness shown by many of the riders and fellow photographers who knew me at that point as I without reason would burst into tears. For me losing Jack was worse in some ways than losing my Dad. Some will understand that, some won't but in someways, whenever I come here my subconscious works on a different level. I feel broody. I think this then reflects in my imagery somehow, it's not that I think I'm here, let's take something dark and sombre, but it comes out after the fact. Okay, enough of that....! Back to the race weekend...Ben Bostrom, he with the fancy new Shoei that Greg White affectionally dubbed the Pergo helmet, won the Supersport race with style. Saturday was Official Red Flag Day at Mid Ohio, three red flags interupted the Superbike race, and then the Formula Extreme race was cut short, or red flagged, due to a nasty accident on the start finish straight involving Garrett Carter (he's okay btw). The flip side of this was that the schedule was getting later and later. However, the light does improve as the sun drops lower in the sky and we're all treated to those benefits.With that in mind, I have to finish getting prepared before I head off to Virginia International Raceway near Alton where I will be covering the next round of the AMA Superbike Championship. Until then, here is Red Bull Rookie, Benito Solis aboard his KTM125 during Saturday evenings Red Bull Rookie qualifying session.More from VIR to come next week.

No comments: