Pages

Friday, January 11, 2008

Don't Lose Your Head - A New Helmet From Bell

Happy New Year everyone!

Here's something a little different. I was fortunate enough to have been hired by Bell Helmets, located in nearby Santa Cruz, to cover the launch of their new line of Star helmets.On the Monday I did some preliminary factory shots. On Tuesday I covered the official press launch and presentation. A large number of journalists from many of the top motorcycle magazines in the US were invited to the factory to be shown the new helmet and all it's (very cool) features. They were also given a factory tour following the presentation, finishing up with a helmet fitting and the plan was to have a bike ride to try the helmet out. Sadly the rains didn't respect the launch and the ride was cancelled for the afternoon. However, from my own perspective, not withstanding the fact that I was covering the launch, I found the whole process of how a helmet is designed, engineered, tested and constructed incredibly interesting.Speaking from experience (I've trashed a few in my time), a helmet is one of the most important safety items you can wear when riding a motorcycle or bicycle, and seeing the level of engineering that has gone into this helmet impressed me.Make sure you wear one!

No comments: