Saturday, October 20, 2007

Pies! The Australian GP and Wheeler in the Bush!

MMM, steak and kidney...Well, it's taken me a few days more than usual to overcome jet lag. Typically it's just a day back home, some sleep re-adjustment and life is back to normal. I think it's more to do with having a few days to acclimate "down under" then all is normal. However, on this trip, I didn't get my couple of days R&R "on the Island". I was fortunate enough to be contacted by Kawasaki US/AUS and was offered the chance to do a shoot in the Australian Bush.

There would be 8 riders, including Attack Kawasaki rider Steve Rapp, the ever wonderful Greg White, Matthew Miles from Cycyleworld, Dirt Action magazine editor Shannon Warner and journalist Sam Maclachlan, oh and stuntman Tom "I only know how to ride on the back wheel" McComas. From Kawasaki off road racing team Australia, there would be race team manager Brett Whale and off road race team crew chief and my chase car driver Charlie Costanzo, all of us being expertly guided by Matthew Phillpott and bringing up the rear and making sure no one got lost or left behind, the sweep rider Mark Ryan. Needless to say, the almost two days we spent following their exploits through dusty roads in the bush were filled with fun, some danger (Matthew vs tree) and some minor technical issues (Bretts' KLX450R losing oil) it was a good adventure with some good sights to be seen along the way.

Dirt Action riders Shannon Warner and Sam Maclachlan doing their synchronised wheelie-ing..Thursday night, I was fortunate enough to miss the bad weather, catch an earlier flight to Melbourne where I was met by good friend Ken Lyons. A nice steady 2 hour drive to our house on Phillip Island and it was off to bed. Where, in a few hours I'd be working the track covering Casey Stoner's homecoming in the GMC Australian Grand Prix.Three wet, windy, wet windy, wet windy, sunny days later, Casey Stoner won the race. Then on Monday it was a little rest, a lightning tour of the Island, some dinner and then off to bed to be ready for the trip home the following morning. 20+ hours later we roll into our parking space in Capitola and I'm home.

Phew. I'll add a little more on the adventure as time allows and will let you all know when my site is updated. I'm off to Spain next weekend for the last round of the MotoGP World Championship so stay tuned!

No comments: